Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Welcome to the world Miss Maisy!

She's here!

Maisy Lauren Grandstaff was born Friday April 9th at 11:48am. Her birth story is pretty crazy (to me anyway). Thursday night I began feeling very crampy and had braxton hicks with some backache. It wasn't anything I was worried about and slept off and on all night. Friday morning I woke up and noticed I was bleeding very lightly so I called the doctor and they told me to go to Labor and Delivery to be checked and make sure nothing was wrong. The minute I got off the phone (it was 9am), the first real contraction hit me. Still not horrible, but it made me stop in my tracks. I woke Tadd up and told him to get in the shower. I quickly got ready and got Brogan fed. By 10:00am, I was super worried because the contractions hurt really bad. Tadd ran Brogan across the street to stay with Brandon until my dad could pick him up. My contractions continued to pick up in intensity and were about 4 minutes apart.

When we got to the hospital, I was checked and SHOCKED that I had already dilated 8cm!! (It took 15 hours to dilate that much with Brogan!) The nurse also noticed that the head was not the presenting body part so they did an ultrasound and discovered that Miss Maisy was breech. Since I was already so far into labor, they quickly rushed me into the surgery room for a C-section. Thank goodness for the spinal block because my contractions were beyond painful at this point.

I never in 9 months expected to have a C-section. I'm not sure why...it just never crossed my mind. I hadn't read about it or anything so I wasn't sure what to expect. With the spinal, I didn't feel too much pain, just that they were doing "something" to me and it caused a lot of pressure. I kept asking for more medicine though because I didn't want to run the risk of actually feeling it more that I should.

Apparently (and I didn't learn this until the next morning), the doctors performing the C-section had some difficulty getting Maisy out because I had a "Contraction Ring". The doctor explained it as my uterus had a "ring" or a grip around her head. It is very rare and can cause uterine rupture and life threatening complications to the baby. It is undetectable until labor begins and had we not known Maisy was Breech and we went ahead with vaginal delivery, her body would have gone through the birth canal and her head would have been stuck. Very scary. God was definitely watching over us!

Thankfully, Maisy is healthy and thriving! She was born 6lbs. even and 19.25in. long. Super tiny! Even though she wasn't a preemie (born only one day early), she's in preemie clothes. She came home from the hospital weighing 5lbs.10oz. and is already back up to 6lbs.2oz! She nurses like a champ and practically sleeps all day long. She wakes up 2-3 times during the night to eat and goes right back to sleep. This is all new to us because Mr. Brogan was quite the opposite!! Here are just a few pictures of the newest member of the Grandstaff family! She is so loved!!

My first time seeing my sweet baby girl

Sweetest little lips

Big brother Brogan and an unhappy little sister

Super tiny!

Brogan thinks Maisy is funny :)

Safe in Daddy's arms

Unsure of her first doctor's visit

8 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! crazy story. I'm glad you and Maisy are doing good and that everything went ok. She looks so much like Brogans' baby pictures!

sheldon family said...

what a crazy birth story! so happy y'all are doing well. she is just beautiful!

Jennifer said...

so precious! congratulations on your sweet girl!

We're so glad that God had His hand in Maisy's birth. He has such great things planned for that little one!

Praying for your speedy recovery... love you girl!

Gunfus said...

Congratulations. I know you don't know me.. and I don't you, but I found your blog while looking for hives and babies. I made a post long time ago to your 'Santa baby has hives' post.

Really all the best, I am glad to read that all of you are fine and that you have two munchkins now. We are just putting our first munchkin to daycare and it is a bit of a hard process.. She got a Stomach bug on the first week of visitiation, so she is is starting 4 days late. I hear this is just the nature of daycare.. :S

Kellie said...

PRECIOUS!!!!! Maisy is adorable - what a story - it does sound kind of crazy - but isn't God awesome to provide what we need - when we need it! PRaying for you as you adjust to your new family member!

Bobbie Brown said...

CONGRATS! She is beautiful! I am sorry to hear you had to have a C-section but so glad she is here and healthy!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! My advice for post c section is REST! TAKE IT EASY!!

I found your blog by searching hives from milk in a baby, my daughter has the exact same thing you described on your blog when you gave your baby icecream.
Please let me know if you figured out what that was.... Was it an allergy? Eczema? Did he grow out of it???

I'm so worried for my baby because she got them when I introduced goat milk to her.... And yeah they dissapear but what is going on?! PLEASE when u have a chance let me know!!!!

THANK YOU
Kristi

Unknown said...

Glad everything ended up great :) Congatulations. She looks a lot like Brogan did and Brogan looks like such a proud big brother :)